UMR is a registered 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization based in the Alexandria, VA. We are one of the fastest growing NGOs in the country, with a focus on building humanitarian coalitions to tackle developmental needs globally.
UMR is looking for an experienced Communication Associate to assist with the coordination of communication efforts externally and internally. This position is playing a key role for the organizations’ reputation with its employees and the general public. Duties and responsibilities broadly support fund raising efforts and increased awareness of the organizations’ services.
- Assist with the Development & implementation of annual Public Relations plans in consultation with senior management
- Assist with coordination & editing for marketing and donor communication both on and offline, including but not limited to newsletters, eNewsletters, campaigns, appeals, etc.
- Assist with coordination of updates & improvements on the Organization’s Web site
- Manage Organization’s Social Media presence via Facebook, email marketing, Twitter, Blogs, mailer etc. as directed by management
- Develop & update general and program brochures, media kits, key messages, fact sheets, & other collateral material as needed.
- Assist with coordination of media outreach & coverage with media releases, TV/radio interviews, feature stories, PSAs, press conferences, etc.
- Create and coordinate public speaking engagements with/for the Organization’s spokespeople
- Coordinate photography for/of events, activities, etc. for use in publications, media, etc. and ensure appropriate releases are signed and filed; maintain graphics & photo files.
- Keep Organization’s bulletin boards updated
- Gather Good News stories from program staff for use in all communication (internal & external)
- Other duties as assigned
- Ensures that UMR brand guidelines and style guide are followed across all programmatic and communication channels
- Support UMR global offices in delivering local public relations programs that are aligned with UMR strategy
- Write and edit copy for a variety of internal and external communications including newsletters e-blasts, press releases and bylined articles.
- BA or higher degree in marketing, public or media relations, communications, or related field, · Demonstrated min. of 2 yrs experience in one or more of these areas
- Bilingual (Arabic/Urdu) desired
- Highly organized, attention to detail, results oriented
- Exceptional verbal, written, & presentation skills · Strong editing skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office computer programs
- Basic design/layout experience desired
- Knowledge of electronic media such as Web sites, e-Newsletters, Social Media, & other Web 2.0
- Ability to creatively find solutions to challenges
- Ability to anticipate, manage and resolve conflicts
- Team player with leadership skills, abilities and desire to interact with people at all levels
- Demonstrated dedication to work effectively with underserved, at-risk, and vulnerable populations
- Ability to work effectively with community partners
- Must be able to travel independently between multiple work sites
- Able to meet UMR Working Conditions
Standards of Professional Conduct:
The UMR organization and UMR workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the UMR – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the UMR operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
UMR is committed to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, UMR will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, salary history, and two writing samples to email@example.com
Benefits: UMR offers generous health, dental and vision package.
Level of Language Proficiency:
- English a must
- Arabic/Urdu desired
Professional Level: Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: Marketing, PR or communications: 2 years
Location: Alexandria, VA 22314